Mushroom Lovers Pasta
This Mushroom Lovers Pasta recipe is tossed with the most heavenly balsamic butter sauce, a generous handful of Parmesan, and whatever kinds of mushrooms you love most.
• 1 pound uncooked pasta (I used pappardelle)
• 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, divided
• 2 pounds mushrooms, cut into bite-sized pieces (I used a combo of baby bellas, shiitake and oyster mushrooms)
• 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
• 1 cup dry white wine
• 2/3 cup vegetable stock
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 2–3 large sprigs of fresh rosemary
• 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or more/less to taste
• 2/3 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
• 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts, divided
1. Cook pasta* in a large stockpot of generously-salted water al dente, according to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup of the starchy pasta water, and set it aside. Then drain the pasta.
2. Meanwhile, as the pasta is cooking, melt 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) of the butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, tossing every minute or so, for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned and softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the remaining butter, wine, veggie stock, balsamic vinegar, rosemary, crushed red pepper flakes, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the sauce reaches a simmer. Then let it continue to simmer for 5 more minutes, or until the liquid has reduced by about half. Remove and discard the rosemary sprigs (or you’re welcome to just leave them in there).
4. Once the pasta and sauce are both ready to go, pour the sauce into the stockpot with the cooked pasta. Add the Parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup pine nuts, and toss the entire mixture until combined. Taste and season with extra salt, pepper and/or crushed red chili flakes if needed. And if you would like a saucier pasta, just stir in some of the reserved starchy pasta water.
5. Serve immediately, garnished with the remaining pine nuts, plus lots and lots of extra Parmesan cheese.
*For timing purposes, I recommend adding the pasta to the boiling water once the mushroom sauce reaches a simmer.